Skip to main content

I found my old blog!

Wow, 8 years later and I am stumbling here upon my old blog. So much has changed. I am no longer a stay at home mom for one although I wish I was. I have a at times stressful director roll at a large non-profit company and wishing I could find my way back to simpler living. I am divorced and living in a much smaller, but much more affordable home. If I could go back and give my younger self some advice it would have been to do the same and stop worrying about constantly renovating. It does nothing but cause debt, stress and hardly any turn around in a bad housing market. I think this blog is going to be a turn around from what it was and chronicle my way back to Domestic Savvy-ness. Over the years I went from the frugal coupon queen to dropping dollars like it's hot. With not much to show for it either. Who knows if I will ever be able to leave my current job, it's secure, flexible at times, I love all the people, I feel at home there and it provides for more money than I need (but at the same time not enough money for the stress). On the turn side, I am ALWAYS on call. I could receive texts or phone calls at any time and potentially have to drop anything no matter what I am doing to go in. I am doing things that I absolutely hate because it pulls on all my anxiety strings; meetings, events, crowds, sales, fundraising. Finding a new full time job is not as simple because the flexibility can't be beat for appointments and onsite childcare allows for much needed help. What I ultimately want is a part time job to get me out of the house and a way to stay home the rest of the time with maybe a hobby that earns money. Doing surveys and coupon-ing helped a lot when I was a stay at home mom, but I'm scared to make this leap without setting myself up better. Here are the steps I have done so far;

1. Looked at what I am spending my extra money on, I need to cut back and build up a savings nest before making any career moves period. So going to Dunkin Donuts or Aroma Joes for a $3 iced coffee every day is out. Fast food 3 times a week=out. A expensive outing with my daughter and friends weekly=out. Over night trips every other month=out. But the biggest culprit was the grocery store, no more throwing in whatever super organic easy interesting thing I find into the cart or over shopping and leaving extra food to spoil. Back to lists and menu planning, timing and coupon-ing.

2. Went through my credit card statement and found all subscription services. Bub bye Ipsy (which when you go to cancel apparently they offer you a free bag, so bub bye next month), later just fab (because with 2 credits sitting in my account I apparently can't remember to skip the month), good bye HBO and pandora plus. Amazon Prime is already paid for the year so no cancelling that, but with the amount of deals and prime video I'm not entirely sure it's a bad deal anyways. Especially because I don't have cable. For this reason I will keep netflix and hulu, the 3 combined is way less than a cable bill.

3. Daily checks on indeed.com because who knows and I want a part time weekend job for when my daughter is with her dad. This would allow me more time in the week for her if I left my current position.

That's it so far! Have any of you left your secure job to stay at home, and how'd you make it work? And are you happy you did?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add Up the Savings With Online Coupons

Do you have a printer? Then don’t let these deals pass you by! Check out the following websites for the best coupons. Remember though the three rules of using a coupon: 1. Work around other deals – Check your local circulars, see where you will get the best bang for your buck with this coupon 2. Usage – Will you use this product and is it really cost efficient to use this product with the coupon over a cheaper version? Be sure to price shop, along with examining how much you get for the cost. For example. There are 2 boxes of cereal, one at 30 ounces for $1.50 and one for 50 ounces for $2. Buying the one for $2 is the best bang for your buck because you get just under double for only 50 cents more. 3. Check the fine print - Expiration dates and quantity, can it be used with other promotions, etc. Keeping these tips in mind, enjoy the savings to come from these sites: http://www.smartsource.com/ http://www.coupons.com/ http://www.save.com/ Also, if you ever do any online shopping alw

Update

It's been a long time since I last wrote, luckily I have very few readers to apologize to ;) So what's new... well the garden is looking great, I just discovered that butternut squash produce very beautiful large yellow flowers. The ducks are just about full size now and that is just in time for the start of my new hobby of furniture restoration. A friend introduced me the the most inspiring site for this; http://betterafter.blogspot.com/. This site showcases furniture, decorations, and rooms that have all been redone and brought back to life. Why do I love this so much? Because it's green, it's cost effective and it's domestically savy! *Photos to come of my "better after" items. My two cents about furniture restoration; Sprucing up something you already own, free furniture, cheap furniture from a yard sale is a great way to recycle and also keep you from buying an unsturdy piece of furniture from a large corporation store which will inevitably break. Thi

Just Ducky

Meet the newest additions to my home, Tina and Lucy Loo. Tina, the black one is an Indian Runner and the yellow one is a Pekin duck. The arrived this morning at the post office from a trip from Metzer Farms in California. Because of the fantastic weather we were able to let them roam around outside, and they showed their true foraging skills by eating worms, mosquitoes, ants and pretty much anything else they could find. I am very excited for the time when they are big enough to wander the yard by themselves to free my garden from pests, and limit the amount of mosquitoes that terrorize me on a daily basis. In a few months they will begin to produce eggs, but in the meantime they are providing me with great entertainment! Setup for ducklings is very inexpensive and easy. We used a plastic kiddy pool, but really any container will work as long as the sides are tall enough, even a box would work, a shallow water dish, a shallow food dish, water fowl food or chick food, and a 60-75 watt w